Fernando Alonso is to leave Formula One at the end of the season, McLaren have confirmed.
The 37-year-old has had a glittering career in F1, winning back-to-back titles in 2005 and 2006 with Renault, the first of which made him the then youngest ever champion.
Alonso, who is in his 17th season in the sport, has won 32 races, amassed 22 pole positions and reached the podium on 97 occasions.
"After 17 wonderful years in this amazing sport, it's time for me to make a change and move on. I have enjoyed every single minute of those incredible seasons and I cannot thank enough the people who have contributed to make them all so special," he said via a McLaren statement.
"There are still several grands prix to go this season, and I will take part in them with more commitment and passion than ever.
"Let's see what the future brings; new exciting challenges are around the corner. I'm having one of the happiest times ever in my life but I need to go on exploring new adventures."
McLaren Racing today confirms that double F1 World Champion Fernando Alonso will not race in Formula 1 in 2019. https://t.co/hbOCGZP3E2— McLaren (@McLarenF1) August 14, 2018
Alonso, whose McLaren contract runs out at the end of this season, has cut a frustrated figure in recent years with the team unable to provide the talented Spaniard with a car capable of competing at the top end of the grid.
Before Tuesday's announcement, Alonso had been linked with Red Bull or a return to Ferrari, but he has also been heavily tipped to race in IndyCar having previously appeared in the series.
While confirming that he will not race in F1 next season, Alonso seemingly did not fully close the door on a future return.
He added: "I want to thank everyone at McLaren. My heart is with the team forever.
"I know they will come back stronger and better in the future and it could be the right moment for me to be back in the series; that would make me really happy.
"I have built so many great relationships with many fantastic people at McLaren, and they have given me the opportunity to broaden my horizons and race in other categories.
"I feel I am a more complete driver now than ever."
A move to IndyCar would make the most sense in terms of Alonso's ambitions to complete motorsport's triple crown.
Victories at the Monaco Grand Prix and Le Mans 24 Hours means he has two of those three legs, leaving just the Indianapolis 500 – which he raced in 2017 - to check off the list.
Alonso's first drive in F1 came with Minardi, before he was later promoted to a race seat at Renault after impressing as a test driver.
After winning his two world titles with the team, Alonso joined McLaren in 2007 but a difficult working relationship with Lewis Hamilton led to a return to Renault just a year later.
Ferrari came calling in 2010 but he failed to win a another world title, finishing runner-up on three occasions before starting his second stint with McLaren in 2015, only for problems with their Honda engine partnership to end any hopes of him being competitive.
21 de febrero 2019
|Halep out, Kvitova dominant in Dubai|
|Marotta ´very optimistic´ Godin will join Inter|
|Emery praises Arsenal´s game management after European progress|
|Valencia 1 Celtic 0 (3-0 agg): Toljan sent off as Bhoys crash out|
|Arsenal 3 BATE 0 (3-1 agg): Emery´s men ease through|
|Woods to skip Honda Classic, play Arnold Palmer Invitational|
|Sarri recalls Hudson-Odoi for Malmo match|
|Silverwood in line for England job|
|WATCH: Norwegian goalkeeper scores stunning free-kick|
|Bencic ends Halep´s Dubai dreams|
|Playing conditions confirmed for The Hundred, reveals ECB|
|Manchester City fan suffered ´traumatic brain injury´ in alleged assault|
|Afghanistan too strong for Ireland in T20 opener|
|History-chasing Sri Lanka edge Proteas on day one|
|Tottenham an ´exciting and brilliant´ team, says Kanoute|
|Klopp fined £45,000 referee comments|
|Mourinho to analyse Clasico for beIN SPORTS|
|Ronaldo has won three Champions Leagues, not five – Atletico president Cerezo hits back at Juventus|
|Greatest Wales side ever? Not in my book, says Gatland|
|FA charge Millwall over racist chanting|
|Saiss signs new Wolves deal|
|Klopp impressed by Solskjaer´s ´brilliant job´ at United|
|De Jong excited to join ´greatest ever´ Messi at Barca|
|Gattuso ´not building anything´ at AC Milan|
|Manchester City fan in critical condition after alleged assault following Schalke game|
|Kovac wants repeat of Bayern´s defensive efforts|
|Semenya sets record straight over government funding for IAAF case|
|Tottenham´s Kane to be assessed ahead of Burnley clash|
|McIlroy to skip Irish Open|
|England rest Stokes and Buttler for Windies T20s|
|Lambert given two-game touchline ban after East Anglian derby fracas|
|Gatland puts faith in Anscombe to face England|
|PSG terminate Diarra contract|
|Nantes grant Cardiff extension over Sala payment, Warnock confirms|
|Horne replaces Russell for injury-hit Scotland in Paris|
|Eriksen´s agent ignoring transfer speculation|
|Moon and Nowell to start for England against Wales|
|PSG announce new shirt sponsor|
|Hearn expects Joshua-Usyk fight in 2020|
|Van Dijk wants to be a ´legend of Liverpool´|
|India lose Pandya for Australia T20s and ODIs|
|KNVB postpones Ajax game to boost Real Madrid preparations|
|Tigers land Rabbitohs flyer Jennings|
|Man United have new flow under Solskjaer - Wijnaldum|
|Manchester United v Liverpool: Herrera the unsung hero of resurgence|
|Manchester United v Liverpool: Alexander-Arnold gets chance to show growth at Old Trafford|
|Duke players, Coach K react to Zion Williamson’s knee injury|
|Barack Obama wishes Zion Williamson a ´speedy recovery´|
|CONCACAF Champions League Review: Santos Laguna hit Marathon for six|
|Morgan praises Root, Roy after record chase|
|LeBron sends best wishes to top NBA prospect Zion Williamson after injury|
|Schwartzman the latest seed to fall in Rio|
|Duke star Williamson suffers knee injury|
|Koke: VAR will give Morata a goal one day|
|´Everybody wants to actually talk about bull****´ – Irving angry over Durant video rumours|
|Ronaldo had a good game – Allegri backs Juventus star|
|We weren´t at our best – Tuchel after PSG´s 5-1 rout|
|LeBron James ready for Lakers´ playoff push|
|Allegri: Juventus not dead yet|
|Ronaldo: I´ve won five Champions Leagues, Atletico have zero|
|Machado picking Padres over White Sox might´ve been a mistake – Anderson|
|LaLiga dismisses Tebas to Premier League links|
|Simeone apologises for crotch-clutching celebration|
|Roy, Root star as England complete record run chase|
|City boss Guardiola defends VAR after confusion reigns at Schalke|
|Sterling: Schalke win shows where City are heading|
|PSG star Neymar heads to Brazil for treatment|
|Guardiola: City ´not ready´ to win Champions League despite beating Schalke|
20 de febrero 2019
|Paris Saint-Germain 5 Montpellier 1: Di Maria hits screamer as champions cruise|
|Schalke 2 Manchester City 3: 10-man visitors strike late through Sane & Sterling|