Veteran Tom Brady and young gun Patrick Mahomes go head to head this Sunday as the New England Patriots travel to the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game.
While the quarterback battle is easily the marquee attraction, there is general excitement in the idea of a rematch after the first meeting during the regular season.
That contest resulted in a high-scoring thriller in which the Patriots and Chiefs combined for 946 yards and scored 30 points between them in the fourth quarter alone when New England sealed a 43-40 victory on a last-second field goal.
Here, with the help of our colleagues at Opta, we take a look at 10 statistics ahead of the game.
- This will be the second meeting in the playoffs between the Chiefs and Patriots, with New England winning their only prior matchup 27-20 in 2016. Kansas City is 5-1 at home all-time against New England.
- After their win last week, the Chiefs are 3-7 all-time in home playoff games.
- The Patriots have lost each of their last three away playoff games, all of which have been AFC Championship Games.
- Kansas City allowed 263 total yards to the Indianapolis Colts in the divisional round, their third-fewest yards allowed this season.
- New England held the Los Angeles Chargers to just 19 yards rushing in the divisional round. Since the merger, only 10 teams have held opponents to fewer than 20 rushing yards in a playoff game, going 9-1 in those games.
- Last week the Chiefs became the second team to have four different players score a rushing touchdown in a playoff game, joining the 1982 Dallas Cowboys in achieving such a feat.
- Against the Chargers, Patriots running back Sony Michel became just the 12th player to rush for 100-plus yards and three-plus touchdowns in a postseason game, and the third rookie to do so.
Q: Do you mind playing in severe cold?— New England Patriots (@Patriots) January 16, 2019
- Chiefs linebacker Justin Houston had two sacks against the Colts after tallying two in his five previous playoff games. Houston is the only player since sacks have been an official statistic (1982) to have at least two sacks in the playoffs on his birthday.
- Patriots wideout Julian Edelman had nine receptions for 151 yards against the Chargers, moving him into second place all-time for playoff catches with 98. He trails only Jerry Rice, who had 151 in his career.
- Travis Kelce had 108 receiving yards in the divisional round, his second career playoff game with 100-plus yards through the air. The Kansas City tight end is one of just five tight ends since 1996 with multiple such playoff games.
22 de mayo 2019
|Ter Stegen out of Copa del Rey final|
|Ewan victory sees Demare nudge into Giro points lead|
|Khawaja sent for scans after blow to head|
|Diego Costa a doubt for start of Atletico´s pre-season with ligament sprain|
|Caballero commits to Chelsea for 2019-20|
|F1 Raceweek: Ricciardo or Red Bull to halt Mercedes? - Monaco GP in numbers|
|Deco: Valverde will be feeling heat at Barcelona after Liverpool loss|
|Caparros to be replaced as Sevilla coach but remain at the club|
|England have no margin for error at World Cup, warns Stokes|
|An iconic character - Villeneuve & Prince Albert remember Niki Lauda|
|Borussia Dortmund sign Leverkusen star Brandt|
|Rudi Garcia to leave Marseille|
|If my job depends on one game, I want to leave Chelsea immediately – Sarri|
|Sarri hopes Hazard stays at Chelsea but will respect any decision|
|NRL Opta facts: Retiring Cronk seeks 100th try|
|Trail Blazers give coach Terry Stotts multi-year extension|
|Guingamp and coach Gourvennec part ways following relegation|
|Coutinho returns to Barcelona training ahead of Copa del Rey final|
|Lam signs new long-term contract with Bristol|
|Aduriz agrees one-year Athletic extension|
|Those Star Wars writers might have been busy! Rodgers unhappy with Game of Thrones finale|
|He should have a statue in Perez´s garden – Real Madrid great lauds Zidane´s return|
|Gyan makes Ghana retirement U-turn after presidential request|
|49ers pass rusher Bosa tweaks hamstring|
|Kroos, Ter Stegen to miss Germany qualifiers|
|Archer brings X-factor to England attack – Root|
|Thorgan Hazard completes Borussia Dortmund move|
|Giannis not feeling pressure despite Raptors revival|
|Gundogan confident Man City will keep Sane despite Bayern links|
|Sterling wants to discuss tackling racism with FA and Premier League|
|Raptors´ VanVleet ends shooting slump after birth of second child|
|Pogba and Hazard to Real Madrid? It´s possible, says Varane|
|Plunkett hails ´special talent´ Archer|
|Solskjaer deserves patience at Manchester United - Van Persie|
|Yankees stay hot, pull away for win over Orioles|
|Three takeaways from Raptors´ Game 4 win over Bucks|
|Well-rounded Raptors level series against Bucks|
|Blues snap 49-year Stanley Cup Finals drought|
|Koscielny slams UEFA after Mkhitaryan withdrawal|
|Del Bosque defends Spanish clubs despite European failure|
|Pulisic keen to match Hazard impact at Chelsea|
|Durant ´100 per cent undecided´ about future, says manager|
|Rodgers says Packers´ new offense is ´going to look different´|
|Beilein explains decision to leave Michigan for Cavaliers|
|Warriors became ´unbeatable´ with Durant, says Green|
|Simeone reaffirms Atletico commitment ahead of rebuild|
|Wallabies star Sio re-signs until 2022|
|Lacazette adamant he´s in the form of his life|
|Cech denies he already agreed to Chelsea sporting director role|
|Fury expects Wilder rematch in March or April 2020|
|Costa avoids bone damage after suffering ankle injury|
21 de mayo 2019
|Canada beat USA, who must now face rampant Russia|
|Barty withdraws before rain scuppers play in Strasbourg|
|AFC Champions League Review: Oscar hat-trick helps Shanghai SIPG progress|
|Zverev cruises through in Geneva as Dimitrov crashes out|
|Luka Doncic & Trae Young top 2018-19 NBA All-Rookie first team|
|F1 Raceweek: Can Verstappen stop Hamilton & Bottas in Monaco?|
|Sri Lanka end ODI winless streak in Edinburgh|
|Ratchford set for long injury absence|
|It´s staying up! - Bernardo Silva shows off good-luck Christmas tree|
|Varane vows to stay at Real Madrid for next season|
|Shahzad and Naib star as Afghanistan bounce back in Belfast|
|Argentina has strongest possible squad - Scaloni|
|Kohli expecting his ´most challenging World Cup´ yet|
|Kompany set for Manchester City testimonial at Etihad Stadium|
|Love you man – Lewis Hamilton pays tribute to Niki Lauda|
|Garitano replaces Abelardo as Alaves coach|
|O.J. Simpson´s No. 32 Bills jersey assigned for first time in 42 years|
|Dybala, Aguero in Argentina´s Copa America squad as Icardi is left out|
|Demare opens Giro account after Ackermann crash|