Veteran Tom Brady and young gun Patrick Mahomes go head to head this Sunday as the New England Patriots travel to the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship Game.
While the quarterback battle is easily the marquee attraction, there is general excitement in the idea of a rematch after the first meeting during the regular season.
That contest resulted in a high-scoring thriller in which the Patriots and Chiefs combined for 946 yards and scored 30 points between them in the fourth quarter alone when New England sealed a 43-40 victory on a last-second field goal.
Here, with the help of our colleagues at Opta, we take a look at 10 statistics ahead of the game.
- This will be the second meeting in the playoffs between the Chiefs and Patriots, with New England winning their only prior matchup 27-20 in 2016. Kansas City is 5-1 at home all-time against New England.
- After their win last week, the Chiefs are 3-7 all-time in home playoff games.
- The Patriots have lost each of their last three away playoff games, all of which have been AFC Championship Games.
- Kansas City allowed 263 total yards to the Indianapolis Colts in the divisional round, their third-fewest yards allowed this season.
- New England held the Los Angeles Chargers to just 19 yards rushing in the divisional round. Since the merger, only 10 teams have held opponents to fewer than 20 rushing yards in a playoff game, going 9-1 in those games.
- Last week the Chiefs became the second team to have four different players score a rushing touchdown in a playoff game, joining the 1982 Dallas Cowboys in achieving such a feat.
- Against the Chargers, Patriots running back Sony Michel became just the 12th player to rush for 100-plus yards and three-plus touchdowns in a postseason game, and the third rookie to do so.
Q: Do you mind playing in severe cold?— New England Patriots (@Patriots) January 16, 2019
- Chiefs linebacker Justin Houston had two sacks against the Colts after tallying two in his five previous playoff games. Houston is the only player since sacks have been an official statistic (1982) to have at least two sacks in the playoffs on his birthday.
- Patriots wideout Julian Edelman had nine receptions for 151 yards against the Chargers, moving him into second place all-time for playoff catches with 98. He trails only Jerry Rice, who had 151 in his career.
- Travis Kelce had 108 receiving yards in the divisional round, his second career playoff game with 100-plus yards through the air. The Kansas City tight end is one of just five tight ends since 1996 with multiple such playoff games.
20 de febrero 2019
|Thiem crashes out in Rio, Del Potro makes winning return|
|Liverpool can ´hurt´ Bayern in Munich, says Henderson|
|Manfred credits Athletics despite missing out on Murray|
|Man United must be wary of Liverpool too – Robertson|
|Machado joining Padres would be great - MLB commissioner|
|Martinez: We hope Icardi returns soon|
|Taylor becomes New Zealand´s all-time leading run-scorer in ODIs|
|PSG star Neymar cried for two days after foot injury|
|Klopp: Liverpool´s final pass not good enough|
|Valverde not worried about Suarez drought|
|Kovac not celebrating after holding Liverpool|
|QPR 2 West Brom 3: Livermore seals last-gasp win|
|Riley on LeBron leaving Heat: I saw a dynasty fly out the window|
19 de febrero 2019
|Klopp content with Liverpool´s ´good´ result against Bayern|
|Valverde accepts 0-0 a ´dangerous´ result to take back to Camp Nou|
|Vaughan outlines benefits of home Cricket World Cup for England|
|Three-time champion Tsonga out in Marseille|
|Leclerc impresses to make Ferrari fastest again|
|Van Dijk not missed as patched-up Liverpool stifle Lewandowski|
|Liverpool 0 Bayern Munich 0: Forwards fail to fire in Anfield stalemate|
|Lyon 0 Barcelona 0: Messi off colour as Valverde´s men are held|
|White Sox in ´disbelief´ after Machado reportedly picks Padres|
|Burrell to switch codes and join Warrington|
|Atletico boss Simeone not thinking about Ronaldo|
|Svitolina advances but Osaka is stunned in Dubai|
|Joshua and Miller trade insults at fiery MSG news conference|
|Machado agrees 10-year, $300m deal with Padres - reports|
|Allegri aware Ronaldo gives Juventus Champions League advantage|
|Guardiola labels Bernardo Silva Portugal´s biggest star|
|Khedira out of Juve squad to face Atletico due to irregular heartbeat|
|Manchester City quadruple ´nearly impossible´, says De Bruyne|
|Lovren out of Bayern clash but Firmino included|
|Flipkens withdraws as Larsson is beaten in Budapest|
|100 days to go: Five key questions ahead of the Cricket World Cup|
|It is time to move on - Antonio Brown meets with Steelers owner|
|Reported Milan target Saint-Maximin punished by Nice for missing Angers game|
|Out-of-sorts Osaka upset in first match as number one|
|Sarri´s ´different´ use of Kante a good thing, claims France coach Deschamps|
|Itoje absence confirmed for England´s trip to Wales|
|Ballack expects ´masterful win´ for Man City against Schalke|
|Deschamps salutes resurgent Martial|
|Former Cowboys QB Tony Romo to play Dallas PGA Tour event|
|Halfpenny and Biggar back in training for Wales ahead of England clash|
|Tedesco urges patience with ex-City youngster Matondo|
|Mbappe workload a concern for PSG boss Tuchel|
|Henderson joins Ireland squad for Rome trip|
|Wenger was convinced Ramsey would stay at Arsenal|
|Halep too strong for Bouchard in Dubai|
|Italy captain Parisse to miss Ireland match|
|Philander to miss second Sri Lanka Test with hamstring injury|
|Jesus and Stones absent from Manchester City training|
|Lukaku ready to be versatile for Solskjaer´s Manchester United|
|Dropping Parra & Lopez a sporting decision, insists Brunel|
|24 all out! Oman make unwanted history against Scotland|
|Dybala: Allegri has helped me develop|
|Russell ruled out of France clash|
|Hazard should leave Chelsea for Real Madrid ´to become stronger´|
|RFEF president Rubiales plans Supercopa de Espana revamp|
|Henshaw extends with Ireland and Leinster through to 2022|
|100 days to go: Cricket World Cup takes over Trafalgar Square|
|Bonucci rejected Real Madrid for Juventus return|
|Semenya releases her own list of experts in response to IAAF|
|Ozil might be in Arsenal comfort zone, says Wenger|
|France change half-back pairing for Scotland clash|
|Joshua is going to crack like an egg, predicts Miller|
|Klopp: Critics of powerful Bayern Munich look silly|
|Barcelona planning for post-Messi future - Bartomeu|
|Atletico Madrid v Juventus: 22 goals, three hat-tricks - Ronaldo´s remarkable record against Atleti|
|Schalke v Manchester City: ´Special kid´ Leroy Sane heads back home|
|Lewandowski chasing record, Suarez out to end away rut - Champions League in Opta numbers|